Tuesday, January 4, 2011

reporting on the bagel, from new york city.

the city that never sleeps.
or was that tokyo...?

fashionable people, so i've been told.
like paris...?

lots, and lots, and lots of people.
(not as many as china)

and bagels.

i had my first-ever bagel today, my first ever meal, from dunkin’ donuts.

i’ve seen a dunkin’ donuts in australia, and had them in abu dhabi as well.

“the UAE runs on dunkins’”

seriously.

i never checked to see if australia runs on dunkins’, but it probably does too.

it’s probably because it’s been less than a day since i’ve been in NYC, and walked down about two streets – so as of yet, it doesn’t feel that much different from sydney.

lots of people from different ethnic backgrounds, check.
lots of stores, (more variety, but still essentially the same idea,) check.
busy streets, check.

the cold weather and the accents threw me off, but there’s must be more to NYC than cold januarys and funny accents – ‘cause it has something extra, one thing that australia doesn’t have -

THE BAGEL.

i wikipedia-d ‘bagel’ because everyone kept talking about them back at sama, it was one of the most-missed foods, I think. Everyone (note: exaggeration) in NYC eats bagels, it’s an NY ‘thing,’ quote a korean documentary on NYC.

i found out that the bagel is actually of jewish origins. who’d have thought. it’s the brief dunking in boiling water that makes them chewy.

NYC. I haven’t seen much of it yet, but I plan to. I expected to see things more inherent to NY, I think, instead of bigger versions of things I’m used to -

so i’m off to look for more ‘bagels.’

hello, new york city.

3 comments:

  1. Your post makes me think that I should find a way to include a pilgrimage to H & H Bagels on our schedule!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! You learn BIG things about LITTLE things in a LITTLE amount of time in this BIG city! The expectations of both New York and everything that is questionable about modernity can and will be explored! Can't wait to find some more Bagels! BAGELS EVERYWHERE!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the style you wrote about this. It is actually fun when it is written in such manner, without a lot of explaining but still very understandeble without a lot of effort. I think that you should assosiate Bagle with New York as well as aplle is assosiated with one. I think you should write a book called something like "Travel around the world on a Bagle" or something different. It will be cool =) I will be your first buyer =)

    ReplyDelete